Sunday, September 13, 2015

Perusing the News: Col. Timothy J. Moynahan (1870-1935)

My family knows that I LOVE perusing through newspapers. OLD newspapers. The older the better!

Source: The Lehi Sun, Lehi, Utah June 9, 1921


Recently I have been perusing three (new to me) online treasures:
Source: The Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1919

I came across Col. Timothy J. Moynahan ( 1870 Ireland -1935 Brooklyn NY) who was a World War 1 war hero and a prominent figure in Irish-American affairs. I learned that he:

  • was one of the best known officers of the National Guard (*)
  • was sent to France as part of a special detachment in the fall of 1917 (*)
  • was wounded in the spring of 1918 (*)
  • was promoted to lieutenant colonel in the fall of 1918 on the field of battle (*)
  • received the Croix de Guerre four times from the French army (twice with the stars and twice with the palm) (*)
  • received the Distinguished Service Cross from the American army (*)
  • received the Legion of Honor from the French nation (*)
  • won six medals and decorations for "extraordinary heroism under fire"
  • served as a Major with the 69th Regt. at the border (*)

Though research at Family Search, I learned that his father was Michael Moynahan and his mother was Catherine Coughlin. (on the 1910 U.S. census, Timothy was living with his mother)

His brother Patrick A Moynahan was an Irish leader in Brooklyn as well (**)


Source: The Lehi Sun, Lehi, Utah June 9, 1921

I could not locate any informatiion about marriages and I believe Timothy was a bachelor. I love telling the stories of unmarried folks from the past because I belive their stories get lost over time with no descendants to search for them.



Source: FindAGrave
Holy Cross Cemetery Brooklyn, NY


As far as I know, there is no relation. He and his brother arrived in America from Cork, County Kerry, Ireland in the late 1800s (My ancestors arived in the 1820s through Pennsylvania)

I am posting these "Moynahan" stories here for the benefit of other "Moynahan" family historians that might be related. Also,given the history of the infamous 69th, I would like Col. Moynahan's name to be found.

Sources and Links
Google Book: The Shamrock Battalion in the Great War

No comments:

Post a Comment