Sunday, January 31, 2021

COVID Lockdowns and Genealogy Gold!

In 2020, because of COVID lock-downs and staying at home, I finally tackled a storage closet on my third floor that had boxes that had not been touched in over a decade!

I read and sorted through over thirty years of genealogy notes and letters and a letter from my first cousin (2x), fellow artist and genealogist Evelyn (Lennon) Janice (1916-2009) is pure gold.

Evelyn (Lennon) Janice (1916-2009) (lower left) writes about her connection to Timothy Moynahan (1813-1902) (seated upper write)


Evelyn’s letter connects the Maidstone Moynahans to Timothy Moynahan (1813-1902) who lived at the corner of Mercer & Tuscarora (Windsor) and had a spare room for a grand niece (Catherine (Moynahan) Lennon) who needed a place to stay so that she could attend Windsor Collegiate (Goyeau and Elliott)

Evelyn (Lennon) Janice (1916-2009) writes about her mother "Kate" (Moynahan) Lennon (1875-1945) staying with her grand-uncle Timothy Moynahan (1813-1902) to attend Windsor Collegiate.

My blogging was sporadic through 2020 and this year I plan to write about some of the treasures that I have found in those storage boxes. The papers, letters, photographs and memorabilia yielded information that I had long forgotten and was glad to find again. I now need to share it with my family and distant cousins.

Unfortunately, the letter that I received from Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan (1927-2003) in the 1980s wherein he explained to me his Moynihan-Kerry-Ireland roots was not among the treasures I found.

One-Name Studies

I also plan to continue my one-name studies for Moynahan (and its variants). One-name studies focus on a single surname, even if they are not related.

I have been doing this all along and sharing my discoveries in the section of this blog that was once called "Lost and Found" and is now called "Moynahan Scrapbook" 

Other surnames in my family tree would also make good candidates for a one-name study.
 

One-Place Studies

I get contacted frequently by people who have entered their ancestor's name into the google search box and found my blog post. I am always grateful when they contact me explaining how they are related to the person named in the blog post.

"One-place studies are a branch of family history and/or local history with a focus on the entire population of a single road, village or community, not just a single, geographically dispersed family line." (Source: Wiki)

Similar to "cluster genealogy" (like I have done with "The Kerry Folk of Maidstone") which examines the records left by the ancestor's cluster such as their extended family, friends, neighbors, and other associates such as business partners, these research methodologies offer the most complete record.

The early settlers of Maidstone, Ontario
 

The following posts have generated the most comments from genealogists who have roots in the same location as my ancestors:

Roots Tech 2021

My readers may recall that I won a four-day Roots Tech 2020 pass from London (UK) from 2020 RootsTech Ambassador Archaeologist/genealogist Carole Steers. Unfortunately, I had to decline the four-day pass for personal reasons.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Roots Tech 2021 is being held as a FREE virtual event February 25-27, 2021.

I am looking forward to the conference this year. It's 100 percent free (they won't even ask you for credit card information when you register) and if you would like to attend you can register here: https://www.rootstech.org/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment