|James Henry Allan Annal (1849-1930)|
|Map of Orkney showing topography and main transport routes|
He emigrated to Canada in 1870 (according to the 1901 census). He lived in Bruce county (Walkerton, Bruce south) and was a sailor on the Great lakes for many years.
|1881 Canadian Census|
(Bruce South, Walkerton)
- James Annal (1873-1921)
- John Annal (1875-1960)
- Mary (Annal) (1878-1948)
- Annie (Annal) McIntyre (1880-1909)
- Elizabeth Annal (1884-1953)
- Ethel Annal (1886-?)
- William Annal (1888-1949)
- Wilford Andrew Annal (1896-1897)
|Standing (L-R): J.H.A. Annal and Gabriel Hess |
Sitting (L-R): John and James Annal, Joe Hess
Bottom: William Annal
|1891 Canadian Census|
(District 47, Bothwell, Wallaceburg Village)
|1901 Canadian Census|
(Wallaceburg, Bothwell, Pg 13)
|Ontario Death Certificate|
|"Find A Grave" listing for Annal headstone|
- Orkney Genealogy
- South Ronaldsay Net
- Annal Family Gravestones
- GENUKI Orkney
- Orkney Family History Society
- 1870 - History of the Great Lakes
- Vessel Types on the Great Lakes
- Sailing Craft on the Great Lakes
- Maritime History of the Great Lakes
- HBC Sailing "North About"
- The Bruce Beckons The Story Of Lake Huron S Great Peninsula
- History of the County of Bruce, Ontario, Canada By Norman Robertson (1906)
- Forgotten Times - Marine History of Southampton & the Bruce Coast and Forgotten Lives - Early History of a Coastal Village.
|Excerpt from "The Bruce Beckons"|
The chart below represents James Henry Allen's family.
James' father James Annal was "by calling" an Orcadian " fisherman, and he had numerous fishing boats". I learned of these facts by reading a detailed account of Jame's sister Jemima Almina (Annal) Sutherland's life (see below).
James Sr. "death occurred in 1876 when he was but fifty-five years of age, while his wife (Elizabeth Wylie) died in 1892, aged seventy-five years....The children born to this union were: John who died in Edinburgh, Scotland; Jennie who died in the Orkney Islands, unmarried; Jemima who married James Sutherland; Elizabeth deceased, who married James Burgess."
|James and Jemima Sutherland of Chatham, Ontario|
(Jemima was James Annal's sister)