Sunday, October 31, 2021

Creighton Trivia: Which Ancestor Played The Trumpet ?

My cousins are organizing another Creighton (Crichton) - Moreland - Melhuish family reunion for 2022 to be held in Halifax, Nova Scotia. 

I am trying to think of ways that I could contribute and I recently stumbled across the Family Search "In-Home" Activities aimed to connect younger ones with their family history and ancestors using a "Trivia Game".

This is one of the prototypes I have developed for my 2nd great-grandfather Charles Douglas Crichton who was born on the 2nd of October 1846 at South Sea Castle, Southampton, England and who died the 4th of August 1910 Halifax, Nova Scotia following a work related accident in the shipyards.

Charles married Haligonian Catherine "Kate" Power (1858-1899, Halifax, NS) on the 11th of January 1877 at St. Mary's Basilica, Halifax, NS

I wish I knew more about Charles and how he came to be an enlisted soldier in the Royal Artillery at such a young age in 1859.

Charles' father Robert had died in 1849 (South Sea Castle Warder (Military Prison Guard)) when Charles was only three years of age. 

My 3rd great-grandmother, shopkeeper Jane (Dewer) Crichton later remarried (1851) to William Craig who was also in the Artillery. Charles may have been a handful and the couple decided to send him to Artillery School?

Charles grew to become a man and grew an entire foot taller while serving his twenty-two years with the Royal Artillery:

Description on enlistment:
Age apparently: 14 years
Height 4 feet 6 1/4 inches

Description on discharge:
Age: 36 years 6 months
Height: 5 feet 6 3/4 inches

After his marriage, he served in Malta where his son Albert Crichton was born. Much is unknown about this period.



Charles Douglas Crichton is buried at Mount Olivet Cemetery (common burial ground). His wife Catherine (Power) Crichton is also buried at Mount Olivet Cemetery, but not with her husband. She is buried in the Power family burial plot lot (believed to be her brother's burial plot.)

Charles remarried following Kate's death in 1899. Charles and Emma Johnston were married and had three sons:


I am looking forward to the Creighton - Crichton - Moreland - Melhuish family reunion and visiting the many cemeteries such as Mount Olivet to pay my respects to the ancestors.

In the meantime, I will work to organize my research and also look for more fun and interesting ways to share it with the many relatives who will be in attendance.

No comments:

Post a Comment