Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Elizabeth (Moynahan) Burke (1959 - 2018)

In memory of a dear cousin Elizabeth (Moynahan) Burke (March 31, 1959 - March 5, 2018)

The shock of Elizabeth's sudden passing on March 5, 2018 in her Windsor, Ontario home was felt far and wide. Anyone who had ever met her will tell you that she lit up the room with her positive energy, generous spirit, loving heart and incredible sense of humour.

Elizabeth, nicknamed "Liz" and "Bummer", was a force to be reckoned with.This page is written in remembrance of her.

Pictured (left to right) Lorri, John, Liz, Shirley and Dan Moynahan

Below are some photos of Elizabeth in her younger years starting with her dance days. Elizabeth's mom (Shirley (Brazeau) Moynahan) made the costumes for both Liz and her sister Lorri.





In March 2018, Elizabeth was reunited with her late parents, John (1934-1987) and Shirley (Brazeau) Moynahan. (1936-1997)

Liz (on the far right) is pictured with her parents John and Shirley and  brothers (Dan and Chris) and sister Lorri

Liz was a loving sister to Dan (Judy) Moynahan, Lorri Renaud, and Chris (Kelly) Moynahan.

Liz was an extremely loving mom to Darryl (Natasha) and Carson (Harlee) and an adored Nana to Irelynn, Katie, Lillian, and a "Baby Burke" she looked so forward to meeting (Elizabeth was born October 2018). 

 

Liz's beloved grandchildren

Liz with two of her grandchildren

Elizabeth began working at Champion Spark Plug and later had a long career at Ford Motor Company, where she accomplished being named as the first woman supervisor of the company.

Ron Krug who worked at Ford's write on Liz's Tribute Wall. "I just now found out about Liz passing away. During my 32 years working at Ford, Liz was the best supervisor that I have ever had. Liz was far more than just a supervisor, she was a kind, sweet, dear friend as well. You will be missed and remembered forever."


 After a short retirement, Elizabeth returned back to the workplace at Green Shield Canada.

She lived a life full of fun, spending every extra minute of time with her family and friends, gardening, crocheting, and being on the water. 

Liz ice fishing (2010)

Liz with son Carson and niece Ashley
Liz with her grandchildren

Liz looking amazing in her blue dress. Liz loved fashion.

Every morning, Elizabeth would wake up to watch the sun rise and each night loved to see the sun set. 

Elizabeth is also sadly missed by many aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins and friends. 

Liz with her Michigan cousin John McHugh

 

Elizabeth's Michigan cousin John McHugh wrote on her tribute wall "Words can''t say enough Bummer will be sadly missed. She was always the life of a party and always greeted everyone with love."

Cousin Linda added, " I was so sadden about the passing of Elizabeth. I will always remember her kind heart and joyful spirit. She was a very wonderful person and I am glad to have known her as my cousin, Some of the things I remember most about her include her love for family and opening up her home for family reunions, coming to the states for special occasions and her love for her family. I remember how proud she was to share about her granddaughters and their Irish names, She also loved her siblings very much. I remember everyone having such a great time together at a wedding in Ann Arbor. She will always will be remembered and missed. "

Elizabeth hosted many Moynahan family reunions at her beautiful home in Tecumseh, Ontario

A step-cousin's husband wrote, "I was very sad to hear of this. Bummer was so lively, so kindhearted and fun to be around. I still remember all the enjoyable times and staying at her house for the family reunions. Bummer was so warm and inviting. She also brought all the weddings to another level of fun and partying :) Truly one of a kind and she lived a full life !!!"

Liz with her niece Aimee

Elizabeth's Memorial visitation was held at the WINDSOR CHAPEL (Central Chapel) and a Memorial Chapel Service was held on Wednesday, March 14, 2018 

In typical Elizabeth fashion, visitors paying their respects were encouraged to attend the memorial in casual attire. Elizabeth was laid to rest at Windsor's Heavenly Rest Cemetery.


 Some Personal Liz Stories

At Elizabeth's memorial service, there was a part where her two sons invited people to stand up and tell a story about her. So many people stood up to share their fond remembrances. I had so many stories to tell but I knew I would not be able to tell them without becoming overwhelmed with grief.

Me and Liz at her sister Lorri's home in LaSalle, Ontario

Elizabeth and her sister Lorri and I were the "three amigos" from an early age. Although we lived in cities 369 km apart (Windsor/Toronto), we spent a lot of time together. The Windsor Moynahans would make the three hour drive to Toronto and vice versa. When we were not visiting each other, we wrote letters ... we wrote lots of letters to each other!

In my teen years, I would take the train to Windsor and my uncle John Moynahan would pick me up at the train station. Later when I got my drivers license and my own car, I would make the trip as often as I could.

Liz loved when I would French braid her beautiful blonde hair and when Liz visited me in Mississauga, I would take her to the Westwood Farm where we would spend the entire day. She loved my horse Blaze.

Liz on Blaze at Westwood Farm

I also went to Daytona, Florida with Liz on March Break 1977 with a large group of students from Windsor. That was quite a time indeed. I don't remember sleeping much but I do remember Liz being the life of the party.

In 1977, Liz also introduced me to the Wilson brothers who were destined for the NHL fame and playing for the Windsor Spitfires at the time. 

John Wilson and Liz remained in touch over the years and when he learned of her sudden passing, he wrote,

"I've always have the very best memories of Bummer and the wonderful way I was treated by her Mom and Dad. What a fabulous year we had together when we were young. Thanks for thinking to inform me during this very sad time. John"

Liz and John Wilson.

 Another memory John Wilson shared, 

"John and Shirley were so kind to me when I knew the family back in 1977 while playing for the Spitfires. A story that my hockey buddies always remember is when John planned Bummer's 18th birthday party, our coach threatened the players not to attend, but come hell or high water many players went (Shirley made tequila sunrises in the basement). That's the story the guys remember when we get together and that's how important the Moynahans were to us."

The Windsor Spitfires
Left to Right: Me, Liz and her father John Moynahan

Liz hosted many family reunions at her beautiful home in Tecumseh, Ontario and I am always grateful that I was able to stay with her. It was something that I looked forward to every year. Her welcoming (and tireless) hostessing skills were something to be admired.

Liz and Francis at Michigan McHugh Wedding


On Elizabeth's last trip to Toronto to visit her uncle Ernie Moynahan, she stayed on her cousin Pat Moynahan's boat in the Port Credit Harbour. 

In typical Elizabeth fashion, she woke early to witness the sun rise and captured it and shared it with all of her friends on Facebook.

 

Every time I see a beautiful sunrise or sunset, I think, "Liz would love that one!"

Rest in peace dear cousin. You are and will be truly missed forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment