Wednesday, February 24, 2016

New 'US & Canadian Border' Category on Cyndi's List

While exploring "Cyndi's List" new category 'US & Canadian Border' (45 links), I found this Border Crossing Card dated 28 June 1927 for my grandfather Ernest Joseph Moynahan. This shows a photograph of him taken a couple of years before he married my grandmother Rhea Fern Coughlin in 1929.

Source: Michigan, Detroit Manifests of Arrivals at the Port of Detroit, 1906-1954
Family Search: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K8M3-DW6
From this card, I learned that:

  • My Grandfather started commuting to Detroit in January 1925
  • My Grandfather was employeed as an "Express clerk" at the American RR Express Huron Depot
  • My Grandfather was 5'9", medium complexion, light brown hair and blue eyes
  • My Grandfather was carrying $50 on June 28, 1927
Some of the links that "Cyndi's List" listed require a subscription ($) and some are free. Definiely worth visiting if you are researching ancestors who lived near the border like my ancestors from Detroit and Windsor!

No comments:

Post a Comment