Sunday, May 20, 2018

A Family of Card Players



EVERYONE in my family enjoys/enjoyed playing cards:
  • My grandfather Creighton loved cribbage and played with everyone in my family
  • My grandmother Rhea (Coughlin) Moynahan would always organize card games for her grandchildren at the kitchen table.
  • My father and step mother are euchre champions
  • My Coughlin ancestors mention euchre at the beginning of this 1940 recording (Track 6 (3:05))
  • My Windsor relatives would always play cards in the evening when we visited from Toronto
And the list goes on! (Please remind me of any other card game examples - war, rummy, Fan Tan and canasta -  in the comment section below)

A 1935 Bridge Tea

While I was researching my grand aunt Aileen (Moynahan) Boyle, I accidentally found an interesting article about "Bridge Tea" in 1935 and some of my women ancestors who attended.


The Border Cities Star; 7 Jun 1935 (page 25/42)


In 1935,  the Catholic Women's League (C.W.L.) of Our Lady of Prompt Succor (O.L.P.S.) organized their most successful bridge tea in their history.

There were 145 tables in play and a number of women organized bridge tables in their own homes and later took their guests to the church auditorium where tea was served.

Source: The Border Cities Star; 7 Jun 1935 (page 25/42)

Source: The Post:  “Bridge Party” by George Hughes; Nov 28, 1953

And my ancestors who were in attendance at the 1935 Catholic Women's League (C.W.L.) of Our Lady of Prompt Succor (O.L.P.S.) Bridge Tea included:
The Border Cities Star; 7 Jun 1935 (page 28/42)

I also learned that bridge playing was so popular in Windsor that there were regular newspaper columns on Contract Bridge strategies such as this one below:

Source: Border Cities Star; 15 June 1935
There is something about large numbers of women getting together to play Bridge that makes me smile. How I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during these bridge games!

An Old Fashioned Game?

I asked my father, "Does anybody even play bridge anymore?" to which he responded, "Oh yes!"and that makes me very happy.



Life Magazine; Nina Leen; Women Playing Bridge



Some Bridge Links
Links to Border Cities Star article: June 7, 1935

No comments:

Post a Comment