Saturday, June 20, 2015

Happy Fathers' Day



Father's Day is a celebration honoring fathers and celebrating fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the influence of fathers in society. Most countries celebrate it on the third Sunday of June.

The history of Fathers' Day started with a petition in the early 1900s following a mine tragedy that left 1000 children fatherless but it really did not gain wide scale recognition until the 1970s.

Source: The Spokane press., June 16, 1910, Image 12


This means that most of our male ancestors never experienced a Fathers' Day celebration in their lifetime so I will give them thanks and honour them today.


These men were glassblowers, farmers, sailors, soldiers, firemen, Justice of the Peace, autoworkers and stevedores. These men loved their families and were loved in return.

I am grateful for the wisdom, inspiration and strength that flows through my blood from my many men ancestors: the men ancestors I have known in my lifetime; the men ancestors I have located through my genealogical research and the men ancestors whose name and stories I have yet to find and those I may never know.

Happy Fathers' Day


Link




No comments:

Post a Comment